Reverse lookup means we use the mapping data (aka "mappings") to conclude from a model to ICAO data or liveries. Normally we use ICAO data and livery information to find a model (this is called "model matching").
In reverse lookup we use the model string
- to fill in the flight plan
- fill in the login ICAO data
and send it to other swift clients, the other swift will lookup the correct ICAO and livery information from that model as those are more detailed and accurate
- as we can distinguish liveries, and not just airlines
- and also can distinguish virtual from real airlines,
- furthermore we can also use the color information for GA aircraft